Roasted Butternut Squash and Lentil soup
(Vegan and Gluten-Free)
- 1 medium butternut squash (Cut into 6 or 8 pieces)
- 1 onion. chopped corse
- 1-inch ginger
- 1/2 cup yellow lentils (yellow split peas, yellow moong, pigeon peas, red lentils) soaked for halfhour minimum and rinsed.
- Cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste
- 10-12 soaked cashews
- coriander or spring onion for garnish
- 300-500 ml of filtered water.
- Cold-pressed coconut oil, sunflower oil or olive oil.
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Mix (optional SpiceBox Organics garam masala blend)
- Bake the butternut squash pieces for 20 mins at 250 degrees. Scoop them out of the skin and keep aside after removing the inner seeded section.
- Place a large pot on high heat and add oil. Add the chopped onion, cumin seeds, ginger, and bay leaf, and stir until onions are pink and cumin seeds are golden brown. Bring heat to medium.
- Add the lentils and stir fry them.
- Add the soft roasted squash and mix well and add the cashews. Add 300 ml water and bring to a boil stirring well. Add more water if needed.
- Then bring the heat to low. Add 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of garam masala and salt and mix well. Remove the bay leaf.
- Transfer the mix into a blender and blend well, and add blended mix back into the cooking pot again. (You may need to do this in small portions until the entire batch is blended)
- Simmer on low to medium heat covered for 5 -10 mins. Pour into soup cups and garnish with fresh coriander or spring onion. Serve with a lemon wedge and piece of bread of your choice.
By: Punam Chopra
Founder- Spicebox Organics Stores, Health & Nutrition Coach